Don’t let winter weigh you down. Lift your family’s spirits with a brisk walk. A walk around the corner, to a friend’s house, to the park, to the skating rink or sledding hill, or even to school in the sunshine and fresh cold air can put everyone in a better mood. Sound impossible? Here are some winter walking tips to put the spring in your step.
- Be role model apoteketgenerisk.com/! If winter walking is normal to you, it’ll be normal to your children.
- Being warm is not just about clothing. Start out with a good breakfast and drink fluids to stay well-hydrated.
- Dress appropriately. Bundle up in coats, hats, gloves, and scarves, of course. But also consider warm, waterproof boots (snow boots) and snow pants for snowy or very cold days. Dress in layers.
- Walking is more fun with friends! Recruit friends and neighbors to join you.
- Short winter days means dusk comes earlier. Be visible. Consider carrying a flashlight or clipping reflective tags to coats and backpacks.
Spring will be here before you know it, and April is New Jersey Walk and Bike to School Month. Now is a great time to bring in KMM for a school Walking Safety Assembly and to start planning a Spring Walk to School Day. Contact Safe Routes to School Coordinator Peter Bilton at (732) 745-3996 to find out more.