My Mobility Plan: My Mobility Plan is a tool created by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to help older adults remain active, safe, and independent as they age. The plan consists of three sections:
- Myself- How to stay independent by managing health and remaining mobile.
- My Home- How to stay safe at home which offers a checklist to ensure a safe environment
- My Neighborhood- A plan to ensure a person can continue to stay mobile around the community.
According to the CDC, older adults who make a plan are more likely to take action to protect their mobility and independence.
Why Have a My Mobility Plan?
- Falls and motor vehicle crashes, which are related to mobility, are the leading causes of injury and injury death in older adults.
- There are many negative outcomes for older adults if they stop driving or fall, including reductions in their health, social interaction, and the ability to get around.
- CDC developed this planning tool, using available scientific evidence, to help older adults plan for future mobility changes that might increase their risk for motor vehicle crashes and falls.
- Adult children or caregivers can also use this planning tool to help older parents, relatives, or friends.